Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content


Welcome to the homepage for AskDOE, the State School Superintendent's help desk. AskDOE is staffed by an experienced education administration specialist who works collaboratively with GaDOE staff to provide quality assistance on a wide variety of educational issues. 

Please be aware that the Georgia Department of Education oversees K-12 public schools and, in most cases, does not have information on colleges, universities, or private/independent schools. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions, along with links to other resources, are below. 

Frequently Asked Questions

​How do I request my high school transcript?

To obtain an official copy of your transcript, contact your local school or the local school district. Click here for contact information.​ The Georgia Department of Education does not oversee private/independent schools, so we are not able to assist with private school contact information (including for closed private schools).

How do I get information about teacher certification?

For information on teacher certification -- renewal, initial certification, or reciprocity -- contact the Georgia Professional Standards Commission (GaPSC) at 404-232-2500 or by email using the contact form available at  Detailed information on contacting the GaPSC is available here​.​

How do I home school my child?

For information on home schooling and how to submit your Declaration of Intent, click here​

My student has an IEP -- how do I apply for the SB 10 Scholarship/Special Needs Scholarship Program?

For information on the Georgia Special Needs Scholarship Program, click here​

​How do I obtain information about my student loans? 

The U.S. Department of Education is the agency that governs student loans. You may call the U.S. Department of Education Atl​anta Regional Office at 404-562-6225. For general inquiries call 800-872-5327. For financial aid information, call 800-433-3243. Also, visit the ED Student Loan webpage

How do I find out about retirement and years of creditable service in Georgia?

Contact the Teachers Retirement System of Georgia (TRS) at 404-352-6500 or 800-352-0650 or 

​How can I find out if a private school is accredited? 

For accreditation information, contact AdvancED at 888-413-3669.

​How can I obtain my student's records from a private school if I have a balance due? 

Because our agency does not govern private schools, we are unable to assist with obtaining private school records. 

How do I obtain records from a closed private school or college? 

Because the Georgia Department of Education does not govern private schools or higher education institutions, we do not hold records from private schools or colleges. In some cases, you may be able to contact the U.S. Department of Education to inquire about a closed college.

Is my student allowed to attend a school outside of their zoned school or school district? 

Contact your local school district regarding permission for a student to attend a school other than their zoned school. Click here for contact information.​

How do I verify a student's education? 

To verify a student's education at a K-12 public school, contact the local school district -- contact information is available here​

How do I obtain a copy of my GED? 

Contact the GED Office at 404-679-1645.

Where can I find information on Pre-K and childcare centers in Georgia? 

Visit the website for Bright from the Start: Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning here​.

 Contact Information

Local: (404) 656-2800
Toll Free: (800) 311-3627 (GA)
Fax: (404) 651-6867